HOW CAN I PREVENT CONTRACTING THIS DISEASE?
Currently, there is no vaccine to prevent Giardiasis. Ill people should drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration. Dehydration can be life-threatening for infants.
You can prevent Giardiasis by:
- Practicing good hygiene
- Frequently washing your hands with soap and warm water, especially after toilet visits, changing diapers, before eating, preparing food, or gardening.
- Not swimming for at least 1 week after diarrhea stops.
- Minimize contact with the feces of all animals, wearing gloves and washing your hands afterward if you need to handle it.
- If the safety of you drinking water is in doubt:
- Boiling your water for one minute.
- Using a filter that has been rated by the National Safety Foundation (NSF) Standard 53 or NSF Standard 58 for cyst and oocyst reduction
- Cleaning and disinfecting contaminated surfaces immediately with a bleach-based household cleaner.
- Properly cleaning up after ill pets and people. You can also use steam to clean the area, 158ºF for 5 minutes or 212ºF for 1 minute.
- Washing clothing and linens soiled with stool or vomit in hot water and soap, immediately.