HOW CAN I PREVENT CONTRACTING THIS DISEASE?
Currently, there is no vaccine to prevent Crypto. There is no known effective drug for treatment. Most people who have healthy immune systems will recover without treatment. Ill people should drink plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration.
You can help prevent the spread of Crypto by:
- Practicing good hygiene
- Frequently washing your hands with soap and warm water, especially after toilet visits, changing diapers, before eating, or preparing food.
- Not swimming in public pools or bodies of water for at least 2 weeks after the diarrhea stops. It is possible to contaminate water just by immersion in the water.
- Children with diarrhea should be excluded from childcare.
- Boiling your water for 1 minute during community-wide outbreaks. Let water cool before drinking
- Using a filter that has been rated by the National Safety Foundation (NSF) Standard 53 or NSF Standard 58 for cyst and oocyst reduction
- Using a filter that has the words “reverse osmosis” on the label.
- Drinking reverse osmosis, distilled, or absolute 1-micron filtered commercially bottled water.
- Thoroughly cleaning and disinfecting contaminated surfaces.
- Remove all visible poop.
- Clean with soap and water.
- Let dry completely for at least 4 hours
- Immediately washing clothing and linens soiled with stool or vomit in hot water and soap. Machine Dry on the highest setting.
- Ensuring food is not be prepared by ill persons and for at least 2 weeks after they recover.
- Flushing all vomit and feces in the toilet, make sure the surrounding area is cleaned.